Tier 2 Visa

What is a Tier 2 Visa?

The Tier 2 Visa  was formerly known as UK Work Permit.. The Tier 2  Visa is an employer sponsored visa which allow a Tier 2 Licensed Employer to recruit a Non EEA National where it has not been possible to employ a settled (resident worker). Please note that you CANNOT apply for a Tier 2 General Visa if you do not have a Certificates of Sponsorship (CoS) from a Tier 2 Licensed Employer.

Now that the highly popular Tier 1 General Immigration Category (formerly the old Highly Skilled Migrant Programme) has been cancelled Tier 2 General is largely the only way for a highly skilled professional to work in the UK.

At Commonwealth Contractors we partner with Tier 2 Licensed Employers & Consultancies who may be prepared, where required, to sponsor a highly skilled Individual on a Tier 2 General Visa.

Apply for Tier 2 Visa UK

You can apply for a Tier 2 Visa  ‘In Country’ . Tier 2 General applications are used where an applicant is either; (1) switching immigration category, OR (2) changing employment from one Tier 2 sponsor to another, OR (3) extending existing Tier 2 leave with the same employer.Click on  In Country Tier 2 Applications for further information.

You can apply for a Tier 2 Visa UK ‘Out of Country’ when a UK Employer wishes to employ you if you are a Non EEA national without existing status and the employer will allow you to move to the new visa in country.

The employer must first apply for a ‘restricted’ Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) before you  can submit a Tier 2 application overseas since almost all out of country Tier 2 General applications fall under the Immigration Cap. For more information click on Out of Country Tier 2 Applications.

The Tier 2 Intra Company Transfer category is designed to accommodate those who are employed by multinational companies and are being transferred by their employer to a UK branch of an overseas company or organisation.

Other categories of skilled worker visas under the Tier 2 points system include Minister of Religion and Sportsperson.


Here is a list of other links that may be of interest to you:

Are you a highly skilled IT, Engineering,  or Financial Services Professional? Do you need a Tier 2 Visa to work in the UK? If so Commonwealth Contractors can help!

To find out more about securing Tier 2 Work Permit Sponsorship call Commonwealth Contractors now on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!