If you are enjoying the UK on your Working Youth Mobility Visa, aTier 5 extension is something we can help you with.
The usual next step is sponsorship of a Tier 2 Work Permit visa, which can later lead on to Indefinite leave to Remain (permanent residence) and then British nationality / passport.
The great thing about being on a Tier 5 working holiday visa is that it allows a UK client / employer to get to know your work, so you can get a foot in the door (and, by being helpful and charming, start accumulating favours owed to you by people), and it can all happen before they need to think ‘am I prepared to go to some extra effort for this person’?
Your main options will be
- Work for a consultancy, which may be viable if you can bill >£250/day, and are in a sector suited to outsourcing, or
- Work directly for an ‘End User’
In either case, unless you are in an occupation recognised as being in shortage, or have a very high salary (currently £150,000pa, although after April 2012 this figure may be reduced to £70-100k), sponsorship will only be possible if a recruitment advertising campaign fails to find suitable local alternatives.
We partner with consulting companies who may be prepared to sponsor you if appropriate, and with OISC registered immigration professionals who can help if your employer apply for a sponsor licence if they do not already have one.
You can’t move from Tier 5 to Tier 2 within the UK, so plan on a trip home for visa stamping.
Find out More
To find out more about a Tier 5 extension and our visa solutions call now on 0800 294 4388 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!Continue reading
In the old days IT Consultants on Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visas used to move to Tier 1 General Visas to stay in the UK long term. However, now that Tier 1 General has been cancelled the only option is to find a Tier 2 Licensed Sponsor and move to a UK Work Permit (Tier 2 General Visa). Many IT Consultants from Australia and New Zealand find that working in the UK / Europe for 2 to 5 years really helps to expand their professional experience. Back home it may be more difficult to build experience quickly due to a smaller jobs market however historically the UK has offered many opportunities for development. If you’re a highly skilled IT Consultant who is currently consulting in the UK on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa and you would like to continue building your professional experience in the UK contact Commonwealth Contractors now to find out how we can help you move to Tier 2 General. At Commonwealth Contractors we work with Tier 2 Licensed Clients, Employers & Consultancies who may, where required, sponsor an individual on a Tier 2 General Visa. To find out more call now on 0800 294 4388 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!
Benefits of IT Consulting on Tier 2 General
There are many benefits to working as a highly skilled IT Consultant on a Tier 2 General Visa, including;
- Long Term Work Rights – Tier 2 visas are initially approved for 3 years but may be extended for a further 2 years where required
- Quick Visa Processing Times – The actual application back in Australia or New Zealand is normally very quick at only 5 to 10 working days. However preparation for the transfer can take a while so make sure you don’t leave it until the last minute!
- Varied Assignments – Work on as many or as few assignments as you wish
- Market Leading Remuneration – Consultants working on Tier 2 normally work on higher value projects over the course of 3-5 years. A Consultant may start off working on £300 per day assignments in year 1 but with experience they may be working on £500 per day assignments after 5 years
- Claimable Business Expenses – It may be possible to claim expenses including; accommodation, visa costs, flights home, travel and subsistence, training costs, computer supplies, postage and stationary etc
Permanent Residence Applications
Unfortunately time spent on Tier 5 Youth Mobility does not count toward Permanent Residence in the UK, however time spent on Tier 2 General does. In order to qualify for Permanent Residence you must spend at least 5 unbroken years in the UK. Unbroken periods are considered to be any more than 90 days in any one year. If a Permanent Residence run is broken the qualification period is reset.
Find out More
To find out more about Commonwealth Contractors call now on 0800 294 4388 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!Continue reading
Are you an IT Contractor? Do you hold a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa? If so Commonwealth Contractors has partners that can help you to (1) maximise your retention while on Tier 5, AND (2) work towards a long term Tier 2 General Visa (formerly Work Permit)! (more…)Continue reading
Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa is for 18 – 30 year olds from qualifying nations (including Australia and New Zealand) who want to come to the UK to work and travel for up to 2 years. The visa is the new version of the old Working Holidaymaker Visa.
In this section we have provided detailed information on working in the UK on a Tier 5 visa and also options for remaining in the UK past the expiry of the visa. This guide includes the following pages:
- IT Consulting on a Tier 5 Visa
- Extending your UK stay when your Tier 5 runs out
- Transferring to Tier 1 General (no longer possible)
- Transferring to Tier 2 General
- Transferring to Tier 1 Entrepreneur
- Transferring to Tier 1 Exceptional Talent
If you are a highly skilled IT, Engineering, or Financial Services professional currently working in the UK on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa Commonwealth Contractor may be able to help you move to a Tier 2 General Visa.
To find out more call now on 0800 294 4388 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!
Countries participating in the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme (2012)
The following table shows the total number of places available in 2012. Please note that Taiwan is a new inclusion on the list. The country joined at the start of 2012.
** Please note that South Africa does not participate in the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme.
To qualify for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility you must score 50 points from 3 points scoring areas:
- Nationality (30 Points Available)
- Age (10 Points Available)
- Maintenance Funds (10 Points Available
Nationality (30 Points Available)
You will score 30 points if you hold a passport from one of the following countries:
- New Zealand
Age (10 Points Available)
You will score 10 points if you are:
- Under 31 years old when you apply for your visa, AND
- Are at least 18 years old on the date when your visa becomes valid
Maintenance Funds (10 Points Available
To satisfy the Tier 5 maintenance requirement you must have at least £1,600 in available cash funds in a personal bank account. Please note that funds are converted to sterling using http://www.oanda.com/
Find out More
To find out more about our solutions call now on 0800 294 4388 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!Continue reading