Category Archives: UK Settlement & Citizenship

Contracting after ILR

If you’re on a temporary work visa (such as Tier 1 General or Tier 2 General), and yearn to be a pure freelancer (not always the best option!), you will be looking forward to the day that you can consider contracting after ILR is achieved as it means you will be on the same playing […]

British Passports

To be eligible for a British Passport you MUST have British Nationality. If you are a highly skilled professional on a Tier 2 General visa you can apply for Permanent Residence in the UK after 5 years on Tier 2 General and then British Nationality after a further 1 year on Permanent Residence status.

Dual Nationality

Dual Nationality can be a massive benefit to many highly skilled professionals from Non EEA Countries. For example an Australian with Duel UK Nationality (and a British Passport) may be able to work freely not just in Australia and the UK but also throughout the European Economic Area (EEA).

Right of Abode

Right of Abode is a term used to describe those who have the right to live in the United Kingdom without the need for any immigration restrictions. British Citizens have right of abode in the UK as do some Commonwealth Citizens with a British Parent. If you are a highly skilled Commonwealth Citizen with Right […]

Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK

Before you can apply for Naturalisation as a British Citizen you first need to pass a ‘Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK’ test. Only on passing the test and gaining a Certificate of approval can you apply for British Citizenship.

British Citizenship (Naturalisation)

Most people are Naturalised as British Citizens 1 year after securing Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK. There are many benefits to securing British Citizenship (and with it a British Passport) including the ability to work freely throughout the European Economic Area (EEA).

UK Settlement and Citizenship Overview

After you have spent a certain period of time in the UK (generally 5 years for skilled workers) you can normally apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (also known as Permanent Residence). Following a further 1 year it is normally possible to apply for Naturalisation as a British Citizen and then a UK Passport.