Tag Archives: Tier 2

UK Eases Visa Rules – 1st October 2013

Last Friday, Mark Harper, the immigration minister, announced changes which generally ease visa rules from 1st October 2013. Some of the key changes are:

  • Removal of the English language requirement for intra-company transferees.
  • Tourists and business visitors are allowed to do some study where it is not the main purpose of their visit.
  • Share ownership restrictions waived for senior staff earning £152,100 or more.
  • Artists of exceptional promise enabled to apply under Tier 1.
  • Graduate entrepreneurs will find it easier to switch into Tier 2.
  • New youth mobility scheme quotas set for 2014
  • Hong Kong will be added to the list of participating countries and territories on the UK’s Youth Mobility Scheme in order to further strenghten business, trade and cultural ties.
  • Some students will be allowed to work as interns under the Tier 5 government authorised exchange scheme.
  • The removal of the prospective student route.
  • The expansion of checks to ensure applicants for work and student visas are genuine, and that they intend to meet the conditions of leave they apply for.
  • The introducion of  powers to refuse Tier 4 extension applications where the applicant cannot speak English.
  • Dependants in the Points Based System and other work routes will be allowed to apply from within the UK, providing they are not here illegally, as visitors, or on temporary admission or temporary release. They will still need to satisfy all other existing requirements.
  • Special rules for overseas visitors to the Commonwealth Games 2014 were included.
  • With effect from the 28th October 2013 there will be changes to how applicants for indefinite leave to remain are required to demonstrate their knowledge of the English language and of life in the UK.

If you need a visa to work in IT, Engineering, Actuary or Finance Commonwealth Contractors may well be able to help.

To find out more about our solutions call now on 0330 390 9021 or Send us some details now and we will get right back to you!


Continue reading

UK Tier 2 Visa

This guide is directed at individual skilled professionals who would like to work in the UK on a sponsored Tier 2 visa work permit .


If you are a skilled individual wanting to work in the UK, our OISC registered partners can help your employer sponsor a Tier 2 work permit for you. If you have a contract offer, but the client can’t or does not want to sponsor you,  Our Partners may be able to help if:

  • The daily rate is >£250.00 + vat
  • The client is prepared to give a deliverables-based (and not an agency worker based) contract
  • The role is not one that can be readily filled by an EU resident

The solutions work particularly well in the IT, Engineering, and Financial spheres.  If you are in another sector, don’t worry, we can discuss your individual situation.

Find out More

To find out more about our solutions call now on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your Details now and we will get right back to you

Listed below is the index to our detailed guide to UK Tier 2 visas (work permits)


Continue reading

Alternatives to Tier 2 Licensing

Securing a Tier 2 Sponsorship License and continually ensuring Immigration compliance can be an expensive and time consuming matter. If you are planning to sponsor 10+ workers the time and expense may be worthwhile, however if you need unique skill and experience combinations for shorter periods of time other options may be better. (more…)

Continue reading

Sponsor Ratings

The UK Border Agency assigns Tier 2 Licensed Employers a rating based on their compliance with Tier 2 rules and processes. ‘A-Rated’ License Holders have no evidence of abuse and comply with all necessary Tier 2 systems, ‘B-Rated’ License Holders have been found to lack adequate systems to maintain compliance.  (more…)

Continue reading

Sponsorship Duties

If you secure a Tier 2 Sponsorship License with the UK Border Agency you will be required to meet a number of ongoing Sponsorship Duties. This guide is a summary, and is not a substitute for professional advice. If you do not meet these duties you may find that your license is downgraded or cancelled. (more…)

Continue reading

Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT)

If you are planning to sponsor a Non EEA worker on a Tier 2 General Visa the chances are that you will first have to complete a Resident Labour Market Test in order to prove that you cannot find any settled workers. (more…)

Continue reading

Tier 2 Sponsorship Licenses

In order to sponsor an individual on a Tier 2 General visa your company must hold a Tier 2 Sponsorship License with the UK Border Agency (UKBA). To gain a license an application must be submitted which shows that you are a genuine organisation with suitable HR systems to ensure Immigration compliance. (more…)

Continue reading

Tier 2 Employer Information

Is your company looking to become Tier 2 Licensed with the UK Border Agency? Do you need professional advice, guidance and solutions? If so Commonwealth Contractors can help! (more…)

Continue reading

Use of the UK Welfare State by Non EU Nationals

If you’re a Non EEA National on a temporary work visa such as Tier 1 General or Tier 2 General you (and your family) can usually enjoy use of certain UK State services including the National Health Service (NHS) and State Schools, but you can not claim cash benefits. (more…)

Continue reading

Extending your stay when your Tier 5 Visa runs out

Are you a highly skilled Australian or New Zealander currently working in the UK on a Tier 2 General Visa? Are you looking to move to a new visa which will allow you to remain in the UK long term? If so Commonwealth Contractors can help! (more…)

Continue reading