Tier 2 Sponsorship Licenses

In order to sponsor an individual on a Tier 2 General visa your company must hold a Tier 2 Sponsorship License with the UK Border Agency (UKBA). To gain a license an application must be submitted which shows that you are a genuine organisation with suitable HR systems to ensure Immigration compliance.

Please note that the UK Border Agency take Immigration compliance very seriously. If a license is approved and you do not have suitable systems in place or you fail to meet you sponsorship duties you may have your license downgraded or revoked and you may face a serious fine.

Are you considering sponsoring a worker on a Tier 2 General Visa? Would you like to discuss the situation with an OISC registered Immigration advisor? If so call Commonwealth Contractors now on  0330 390 9021 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!

HR Systems

In order to gain a Tier 2 Sponsorship License you must ensure that you have suitable HR systems in place. The following table details the five key HR areas.

HR Area


Area 1 – Monitoring Immigration Status and Preventing Illegal Employment

Sponsor’s must:

  • Keep a photocopy or electronic copy of a migrant’s:
    • Passport
    • Visa Certificate (where applicable)
    • Biometric Residence Permit (where applicable)
  • Not employ a migrant if the conditions of their permission to stay mean that they are not allowed to do the job

Area  2 – Maintaining Migrant Contact Details

Sponsor’s must keep:

  • Up to date contact details for the migrant including; address, telephone number and mobile number

Area 3 – Record Keeping

Sponsor’s must keep:

  • Documents that may be relevant such as:
    • CV
    • Qualifications
    • References
    • Employment Contracts
    • Payslips & Payment Documents
    • A comprehensive HR File
    • Resident Labour Market Test Details

Area 4 – Migrant Tracking and Monitoring

You must report the following information to the UK Border Agency within the required timeframes:

  • If the migrant does not turn up for their first day of work – within 10 days
  • If the migrant is absent from work for more that 10 working days – within 10 working days of the 10th day of absence
  • If their employment ends – within 10 working days (should include details of the new sponsor if known)
  • If you stop sponsoring the migrant for any reason – within 10 working days
  • If there is any significant change in circumstances – within 10 working days
  • If you have information which suggests they are breaching the conditions of their leave – within 10 working days

Area 5 – Professional Registrations and Accreditations

If the role requires the individual to be registered or accredited with a professional body you must keep full details and records on file for inspection by the UK Border Agency.

Register of Sponsors

Once you application for a Tier 2 General Sponsorship License had been approved your details will be added to the UKBA Register of Sponsors. Prospective employees can therefore check to ensure that the organisation is genuine.

Find out More

To find out more about our solutions call now on  0330 390 9021 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!