IT Consulting – On Tier 1 Post Study Work

Tier 1 Post Study Work visas are ideal for building your professional experience and with it your hourly or daily rate! However, if you hold the visa you need to think about a future transition to Tier 2 General as soon as possible otherwise you may end up missing out on a transfer.

Now that Tier 1 General (formerly the HSMP) has been cancelled the only option for remaining in the UK past the expiry of a Tier 1 Post Study Work Visa is to secure Tier 2 Work Permit Sponsorship with a UKBA licensed employer.

If you’re a highly skilled IT Consultant who is currently consulting in the UK on a Tier 1 Post Study Work Visa contact Commonwealth Contractors now to find out how we can help you ‘switch’ to Tier 2 General.

At Commonwealth Contractors we work with Tier 2 Licensed Clients, Employers & Consultancies who may, where required, sponsor an individual on a Tier 2 General Visa.

To find out more call now on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!

Why is it important to find a Sponsor early?

It is really important to find a prospective sponsor as soon as possible as the longer you leave it the harder it becomes.

Normally under Tier 2 General a sponsor will have to conduct a Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) if the role is not listed on the Shortage Occupation list. However, there is a special exemption from the RLMT where a sponsor employs a migrant on a Tier 1 Post Study Work Visa for a minimum 6 months in a qualifying role.

This exemption is important because many recent graduates lack the niche technical skills and extensive professional experience to allow the sponsor to pass the Resident Labour Market Test successfully.

Please note that in order to prove that you have worked for the sponsor you need to provide with the application either;

  • Payslips covering the full specified period from your employer (payslips should be stamped and signed), OR
  • Personal Bank Statements / Building Society Pass Book showing payments made to you covering the full specified period from the sponsor

Therefore because the proof of employment is based on payments & earnings (rather than an employment reference) you actually need to work for the sponsor for at least a minimum 7 to 8 months depending upon the employer’s payroll system.

Many employers pay ‘1 month in arrears’ therefore you need to start working for the sponsor at least 8 months before the expiry of your Tier 1 PSW visa.

Find out More

To find out more about Commonwealth Contractors call now on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!