IT Consulting – On Tier 1 General (HSMP)

Are you a highly skilled IT Consultant? Do you hold a Tier 1 General Visa? If so Commonwealth Contractors can maximise your contract earnings AND help you to qualify for a Tier 1 visa extension or ILR!

If you possess a Tier 1 General visa you’re in a very fortunate situation as now that the visa class has been cancelled the only other real option is a restrictive employer sponsored Tier 2 General Visa (formerly UK Work Permit).

Tier 1 General gives the holder a large degree of freedom however if you possess the visa and you would like to work as an IT Contractor you need to be careful to pick your steps carefully. If you go for the ‘quick wins’ and use a contracting vehicle that is to tax efficient you could find that you fail in your all important visa extension.

At Commonwealth Contractors we have developed a Contracting Solution specifically for highly skilled IT Consultants on Tier 1 General visas.

To discuss your situation with an experienced professional call Commonwealth Contractors now on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!

Qualifying for a Tier 1 Extension

Traditional contracting solutions (i.e. Umbrella Companies, Contractor Limited Companies, Offshore Payment Vehicles etc) can cause major problems when it comes to extending a Tier 1 General Visa.

At Commonwealth Contractors our specifically designed Tier 1 General Solution includes;

  • A professionally represented Tier 1 General Extension application (terms apply)
  • Market leading retention rates (maximise your net contract retention today!)
  • Tier 1 application planning to ensure you meet all requirements
  • European Contracting Solutions – take on assignments in;
    • Germany
    • Belgium
    • The Netherlands
    • Republic of Ireland etc
  • Claimable Business Expenses, including;
  • Accommodation & Utilities
  • Travel & Subsistence
  • Flights to a from the UK
  • Visa Costs (reclaim government and professional fees)
  • Computer Supplies
  • Manuals & Textbooks
  • Postage & Stationary

To find out more call now on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!

Qualifying for Indefinite Leave

At the moment you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (also known as Permanent Residence) if you spend at least 5 unbroken years in the UK on a Tier 1 General Visa (please note that a break is considered to be any more than 90 days in any one year).

At Commonwealth Contractors our IT Consultants benefit from;

  • Professionally represented Indefinite Leave to Remain Applications
  • Employment Letters & References to validate employment income
  • Up to date news regarding changes to the ILR system
  • Guidance on contracting solutions post ILR

Switching to Tier 2 General

If you’re unable to qualify for a Tier 1 extension don’t despair, as you may be able to ‘switch’ in country from Tier 1 General to Tier 2 General.

Each year many highly skilled IT Consultants find that they are unable to qualify for a Tier 1 extension, with reasons including;

Insufficient earnings during the qualification period
Insufficient funds to validate the maintenance requirement
Inability to prove earnings due to the payment structure used e.g. Contractor Limited Company or Offshore Payment Vehicle

At Commonwealth Contractors our Tier 2 licensed consultancy partners may be able to assign an unrestricted Certificate of Sponsorship and transfer you from Tier 1 General to Tier 2 General (formerly the old UK Work Permit scheme) where a project based assignment exists for a minimum £250 per day for a minimum 3 month period.

Find out More

To find out more about Commonwealth Contractors call now on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!