Tier 4 General Visas

Tier 4 general visas of the Points Based System is designed to allow Non EEA Students to come to the UK to study for an approved qualification at a Tier 4 Licensed University or College.

The UK’s world class higher education system is one of the country’s biggest export sectors. Each year thousands of students travel to the UK to begin a course of study which they hope will give them an advantage when it comes to securing employment.

Over the years Immigration policy has been aligned with the higher education sector with students allowed easy entry to the UK under Tier 4 and then the opportunity to build a career in the UK upon graduation, initially with a 2 year Post Study Work visa and then with an easy transition to Tier 1 General Visa.

However, after the coalition Government came to power a number of changes were made which saw the tightening up of the Tier 4 Student visa system, the abolition of the Tier 1 General visa and the Post Study Visa put on a track to cancellation.

In this section we have provided detailed information on Tier 4 General Visas from the employment perspective as well as information on:

If you are an IT, Engineering, Medical or Financial Services Professional and you would like to transition to a Tier 2 General Visa Commonwealth Contractors may be able to help! We partner with Tier 2 Licensed employers and consultancies who may be prepared, where required, to sponsor an individual under Tier 2 General.

To find out more call now on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!

Working on a Tier 4 Visa

While on a valid Tier 4 General visa you can take employment in the UK subject to requirements. You are allowed to:

  • Do part-time work during term time
  • Do full-time work during holidays
  • Do a work placement as part of your course
  • Work as a postgraduate doctor or dentist on a recognised Foundation Programme
  • Work as a student union sabbatical officer for up to 2 years

In order to work full time outside of term time you will normally require an official letter from the education provide to confirm course dates. You employer will normally need to retain this on their employer file for UK Border Agency audit purposes.

Find out More

To find out more about switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2 General or switching from Tier 4 to Tier 1 Post Study Work call Commonwealth Contractors now on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!