Tier 2 Identity Cards

Existing Immigration Categories requiring an Identity Card:

  • Spouses, Civil Partners, Unmarried or same-sex partners
  • Students under Points Based System Tier 4 (General) and Tier 4 (Child)
  • Postgraduate Doctors & Dentists
  • Academic Visitors granted leave for a period exceeding six months
  • Visitors for private medical treatment
  • Domestic workers in a private household
  • United Kingdom Ancestry
  • Retired persons of independent means
  • Sole Representatives
  • Transfer of conditions
  • Dependents

Immigration Categories requiring an Identity Card from the 6th January 2010

  • Skilled Workers (General and Intra Company Transfers under Tier 2 of the Points Based System)
  • Ministers of Religion
  • Sports Persons
  • Representatives of Overseas Businesses
  • Dependents

In order for an individual to gain an Identity Card on extension of the visa he / she must first provide biometric information (fingerprints and digital face photograph) to the UK Border Agency and apply to extend permission to remain in the UK. If successful the applicant will receive an Identity Card. Identity Cards are intended to provide a simple way for migrants to prove their nationality, identity & immigration status in the UK. At present it can be very confusing for UK Employers to understand who has valid Leave to Remain in a certain immigration category and whether they are allowed to employ the migrant. In the past for example, Student Visa holders have entered the UK on a 3-4 year course and then taken full time employment with a UK Employer who simply sees valid leave to remain in the workers passport for 3-4 years but not the corresponding visa status. By the end of 2010 the UK Border Agency expects to roll out the Identity Card Scheme to highly skilled workers under Tier 1 and temporary workers under Tier 5 of the Points Based Immigration System.  Under current plans everyone who successfully extends their status in the UK or who comes to the UK for more than six months will need to have an Identity Card by April 2011. By 2015 the UKBA expects 90% of workers from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) to have an Identity Card. If you are in the UK on a Work Permit and you are looking for a new challenge Commonwealth Contractors may be able to help. We work with Tier 2 Licensed Healthcare and IT Consultancies who may be prepared, where required, to sponsor a worker under Tier 2 General (formerly the UK Work Permit scheme). If you are a skilled professional and you are interested in Consulting in the UK call Commonwealth Contractors now on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your details now and we will get right back to you.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *