The National Health Service

If you travel to the UK to take employment while on a temporary work visa (e.g. Tier 2 General, Tier 1 General, Tier 5 Youth Mobility) you are entitled to free medical treatment on the National Health Service.

However, entitlement to free NHS treatment is not free for everyone as it depends upon the length and purpose of your residence in the United Kingdom, not your nationality.

Are you planning to come to the UK to work as a professional Contractor? Would like to find out about maximising your contract income or working towards a future visa extension? If so Commonwealth Contractors can help!

To discuss your situation with an experienced advisor call Commonwealth Contractors now on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!

Treatment which is always free to all

Some hospital treatment is free to all regardless of residence. Free treatment includes:

  • Treatment for Accidents and Emergencies
  • Compulsory Psychiatric Treatment
  • Treatment for communicable diseases including Tuberculosis, Cholera, Food Poisoning, Malaria, Meningitis, HIV etc
  • Family Planning Service

Foreign Individuals eligible for free NHS Treatment

Certain foreign nationals (and their dependents) can receive NHS hospital treatment free of charge, including:

Those that have been living in the UK for at least 12 months
Those that have come to the UK to take up permanent residence or have been granted leave to enter or remain as a spouse
Those that have come to the UK to work. This does not include short business trips
Students who are following a course of study which lasts at least six months

Registering with a General Practitioner (GP)

If you are eligible to register with a GP you should do so (at your local practice) as soon as possible.

You should visit the GP’s surgery to register and make them aware that you wish to register as a NHS patient and that you are a foreign national. Be sure to take as much documentary evidence as possible to prove you eligibility for free NHS treatment e.g. Work Permit, Passport, Approval Letter etc. You will need to complete some forms and you will be asked about the duration of your stay.

Please note that registering with a GP does not give you automatic entitlement to free NHS treatment at a hospital. The hospital providing treatment is responsible for establishing if you are entitled to treatment without charge.

Find out More

To find out more about Commonwealth Contractors call now on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!