BMA Advises NHS Trusts To Check EEA Doctors English Language Qualification

BMA member Brian Keighley said that “I hope the numbers from the EEA are adequately assessed for language abilities even though the GMC is currently precluded from doing this. Having said that, if there are existing gaps in the labour market we are grateful that doctors can come here to ensure consistent patient services.”

Unlike Doctors from outside of the European Economic Area the GMC is unable to ensure that EEA Doctors possess satisfactory English Language qualifications in order to achieve GMC registration due to European labour laws. Therefore the responsibility falls to medical staffing agencies and ultimately public and private healthcare clients. The majority of trusts require non EEA doctors to hold satisfactory English language qualifications to prove ability, normally in the form of an IELTS exam.

Commonwealth Contractors

At Commonwealth Contractors we partner with OISC Registered Private Immigration Firms and Tier 2 Licensed Healthcare and IT Consultancies who may be prepared, where required, to sponsor an individual on a Tier 2 Visa (formerly UK Work Permit). If you are a highly skilled International professional and you would like to work in the UK Commonwealth Contractors can help. Our OISC Registered Partners specialise in Tier 1 General (formerly Highly Skilled Migrant Programme) visa applications and can assist those highly skilled individuals that either wish to apply or extend a Tier 1 General Visa.

For more Information call Commonwealth Contractors now on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your details now and we will get right back to you.