Speaking further to the changes, Phil Woolas, the Borders and Immigration Minister said “We\’ve always said that we would run our immigration system for the benefit of the UK and that is what we are doing. The changes that we are making today will build on an already robust system which is now the envy of the world. A strength of the points-based system is the flexibility to predict and respond to events. By utilising the flexibility of the points-based system we are now ensuring that only those that we need to come to the UK to work can do so. I will continue to ensure that immigration does not act as a disincentive for employers to employ and improve the skills of the British workforce.”
Changes to Tier 1 (formerly HSMP)
The Government has accepted the changes to Tier 1 that were proposed to it by the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) a few months ago. The headline changes to Tier 1 of the Points Based System (PBS) include:
- The reintroduction of the Bachelors Qualification. 30 points will be awarded for this type of qualification
- Increase in the Previous Earnings requirements. No points will be awarded for earnings lower than £25,000
- Points awarded for age up to 39 years of age
- Applicants granted 2 years initial leave under Tier 1 rather than the current 3 years
Commonwealth Contractors will provide detailed articles on the changes to Tier 1 General over the coming days.
Changes to Tier 2 (formerly UK Work Permit)
The headline changes to Tier 2 of the Points Based System include:
- 5 Points awarded for A level equivalent qualifications
- Increase in the Prospective Earnings requirements. Applicants will need to earn at least a prospective £20,000 in order to qualify for 5 points
- Recognition of Professional Qualifications
- New ‘Skills Transfer’ category for Tier 2 Intra Company Transfer
Commonwealth Contractors will provide detailed articles on the changes to Tier 2 General over the coming days.
Commonwealth Contractors is a collection of highly skilled professionals from the Commonwealth and beyond. We partner with OISC Registered Immigration Partners capable of professionally representing a Tier 1 Visa Application / Extension and Tier 2 Licensed Consultancy & Associated Trust Partners who may be prepared, where required, to sponsor a doctor on a Tier 2 Visa (formerly UK Work Permit).
To find out more call Commonwealth Contractors now on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your details now and we will get right back to you. Please be prepared to send a copy of a recent CV so that we can pass to interested partners.