In order to employ an individual on a Tier 2 General visa you must make sure that the role meets the conditions of the relevant Code of Practice / Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) Code.
The SOC code includes details of the individual role, the minimum salary to be paid to an individual for the role and where the role should be advertised. If you do not ensure that all SOC code requirements are met prior to assigning a Certificate of Sponsorship you may find that your license is downgraded or revoked at a UK Border Agency audit.
Are you considering sponsoring a worker on a Tier 2 General Visa? Would you like to discuss the situation with an OISC registered Immigration advisor? If so call Commonwealth Contractors now on 0800 294 4388 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!
Codes of Practice Sections
The following URLs link to the current UK Border Agency Codes of Practice.
- Section A – Agriculture, forestry and fishing
- Section B – Mining and quarrying
- Section C – Manufacturing
- Section D – Electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply
- Section E – Water supply, sewerage, waste management and remediation activities
- Section F – Construction
- Section G – Wholesale and retail trade, repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles
- Section H – Transportation and storage
- Section I – Accommodation and food service activities
- Section J – Information and communication
- Section K – Financial and insurance activities
- Section L – Real estate activities
- Section M – Professional, scientific and technical activities
- Section N – Administrative and support service activities
- Section O – Public administration and defence, compulsory social security
- Section P – Education
- Section Q – Human health and social work activities
- Section R – Arts, entertainment and recreation
- Section S – Other service activities
Graduate Level Roles
On the 6th April 2011 the UK Border Agency increased the Tier 2 General and Intra Company Transfer requirements so that if an individual is applying from abroad or ‘switching’ into Tier 2 the role must be at Graduate Level. Previously it was possible to sponsor an individual who was working at S/NVQ3 Level or above.
Find out More
To find out more about our solutions call now on 0800 294 4388 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you.