British Citizenship (Naturalisation)
Most people are Naturalised as British Citizens 1 year after securing Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK. There are many benefits to securing British Citizenship (and with it a British Passport) including the ability to work freely throughout the European Economic Area (EEA).
If you are a highly skilled professional from a Non EEA country you may wish to secure British Citizenship however you need to weigh up the pros and cons. Nationals of countries that allow Dual Nationality (including Australia & New Zealand) generally have little to lose from becoming Naturalised. However if you are from a country that does not allow Dual Nationality (e.g. India) then you will be giving up a lot in order to build a new life in the UK.
Are you a highly skilled IT, Engineering, Medical or Financial Services Professional? Do you need a Tier 2 General Visa to work in the UK? If so Commonwealth Contractors can help!
At Commonwealth Contractors we partner with Tier 2 Licensed Employers & Consultancies who may be prepared, where required, to sponsor an individual on a Tier 2 General Visa. To find out more about our solutions call now on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!
Eligibility for British Citizenship
In order to qualify for British Citizenship you must have met the following requirements:
- You must have been living in the UK for at least 6 years on a qualifying status, AND
- During the 6 years you must not have been left the UK for more than 450 days, AND
- During the 12 months prior to the application you must have held ILR Status, AND
- You must not have been in breach of immigration rules during the 6 years
If you meet the above criteria you may be able to apply for UK Naturalisation
Applying for British Citizenship
In order to apply for British Citizenship you must;
- Pass the ‘Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK Test’, AND
- Complete the UK Naturalisation application form (Form AN)
- Provide supporting documents in respect of the application, including;
- Original Passport
- Passport Photos
- Original Payslips & Employment References
- Knowledge of Language & Life in the UK Test Certificate
- Marriage Certificates (where appropriate)
- Birth Certificates (where appropriate)
- Police Registration Certificates (where appropriate)
- Current Tenancy Agreement
It is highly recommended that you take professional advice in respect of the application from an OISC registered immigration advisor. UK Naturalisation applications can be very expensive (especially if you are applying as a family) and having to go through the process 2 or 3 times due to failure can cost thousands.
How long does it take for an application to be processed?
It normally takes a long time for UK Naturalisation applications to be processed.
At the moment the UK Border Agency are processing 95% of applications within 6 months.
The final step to securing British Citizenship is to attend a mandatory Citizenship Ceremony.
If your application for UK Naturalisation is successful you will receive a letter of approval which includes details of a ceremony at a nearby location which must be attended within 90 days of the approval.
At the ceremony you need to;
- Swear an Oath of Allegiance
- Swear an Affirmation of Allegiance
- Pledge loyalty to the United Kingdom
Find out More
To find out more about our solutions call now on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!