Tag Archives: Tier 2 (general) visa

Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Expansion | 1000 Extra MBA Places

While most areas of UK visa policy are getting tighter, the red carpet is still rolled out for the world’s high flyers.

In December 2012 Theresa May, UK Home Secretary, announced that

  • Phd students will be given 12 months from completing their course to seek work or  as entrepreneurs to start businesses in the UK
  • An extra 1000 Tier 1 ‘Exceptional Talent’ visas will be for MBA students.

The announcement followed London Mayor Boris Johnson’s public support for expat students coming to learn in the UK, and reports that British business schools thought overseas students had been reluctant to study here for an MBA as a direct result of the tightening on the immigration rules that limit their stay after graduation.

It remains to be seen if these very selective freedoms for top postgraduates will alter the perceptions created by generic UK government and opposition statements that the UK wants fewer immigrants.

Certainly the 28th January 2013 FT Business Education supplement, looking at global MBAs highlighted the extra 1000pa Tier 1 Exceptional Talent visas being released from April 2013, and it is to be hoped that prospective MBA students will be able to see that the UK really wants them.

So where in the UK should you study for your MBA?
According to the FT’s MBA 2013 college rankings there are 11 schools in the global top 100 with the London Business School at the top of that 11.

Other interesting points made in the supplement include:

  • People are thinking more carefully about taking two years off work to complete an MBA.
  • Students are not interested in learning about business in isolation. For example at Oxford Said Business School 6% of their 200 students are on their 1 + 1 MBA programme which combines the in-depth study of a specialist masters degree with the breath of a one year MBA.
  • Contacts made through MBA Alumni networks are important for opening doors to the future and networking is often an important factor when decided to study for an MBA.
  • The inclusion of trips immersing students in other cultures are now a key part of an MBA. The FT has teamed up with the Global Fund for Children (GFC) and created a challenge for teams of students where there is an intenational mix i.e. One student has to be studying in Europe, a second in the Americas and a third in Asia and Africa. See link below.

If you are an expat studying for a PhD or an MBA, we, and our partners can help you

* Obtain a Tier 1 Exceptional Talent visa.


* Find an employer able to employ you on a Tier 2 (general) work visa.

Call Commonwealth Contractors on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your details now and we will get right back to you. We are ready to help smooth the path to your future.

FT Links: FT Education and FT and Global Fund for Children MBA 2013 Challenge


Continue reading

Tier 2 Transfer Applications

Tier 2 Transfer Applications relate to situations where an individual with existing leave to remain will either change their employment in county OR switch from one Immigration category to another (e.g. Tier 1 PSW to Tier 2 General).

In order to bring about an In Country Tier 2 Transfer a Tier 2 Licensed Employer will need to assign an ‘Unrestricted’ Certificate of Sponsorship to an individual. Once the CoS has been assigned the worker can apply for the Tier 2 General Visa.

Are you a highly skilled IT, Engineering, or Financial Services Professional? Do you need a Tier 2 General visa for the UK? If so Commonwealth Contractors may be able to help! We partner with Tier 2 Licensed employers and consultancies who may be prepared, where required, to sponsor an individual under Tier 2 General.

Change of Employment Applications

A change of employment application is one in which an individual switches his or her employment from one sponsor to another.

For example an IT Consultant working for one company as a Project Manager on a Tier 2 General Visa is offered a better role with a competitor. Once the new employer has assigned an unrestricted Certificate of Sponsorship the individual can submit a ‘change of employment’ Tier 2 application to move from one employer to the other.

Switching Applications

A ‘switching’ application is one in which a visa holder moves from one visa status to another (e.g. Tier 1 PSW to Tier 2 General).

Tier 1 Post Study Work to Tier 2 General

Now that Tier 1 General (the old HSMP) has been scrapped the only option for those on Tier 1 Post Study Visas is to find a sponsor and secure a Tier 2 General Visa.

If you are on a Tier 1 Post Study Visa at present it is very important that you begin to look for a Tier 2 licensed employer as soon as possible as transferring becomes very difficult (if not impossible) if done at the last minute.

So long as you have worked for the sponsor for at least 6 months in a qualifying role the license holder will not have to complete a Resident Labour Market Test prior to assigning an unrestricted CoS. If you are working at a lower level (sub £30k) this will probably be a deciding factor as to whether you secure sponsorship or not.

Tier 2 ICT to Tier 2 General

At present it is possible to switch from some Tier 2 Intra Company Transfer (ICT) Visas to a Tier 2 General Visa, but only where the Tier 2 ICT visa was initially applied for before April 2011 and in a relevant ICT sub category (please see our Tier 2 ICT page for further details).

Tier 1 General to Tier 2 General

Some individuals on Tier 1 General visas find that they struggle to qualify for an extension. This can be due to a number of factors but normally this is due to insufficient earnings in the qualification period.

If you are an IT Consultant and you believe that you may struggle to qualify for a Tier 1 General Visa extension due to insufficient earnings we may be able to help. For further details please get in contact asap.

Find out More

To find out more about our solutions call now on 0330 390 9021 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!


Continue reading