Tier 2 General Visa

What is Tier 2 General Visa?

The Tier 2 General Visa was formerly known as UK Work Permit. It is an employer sponsored visa which allows a Tier 2 Licensed Employer to recruit a Non EEA National where it has not been possible to employ a settled (resident worker).
Please note that you CANNOT apply for a Tier 2 General Visa if you do not have a Certificate of Sponsorship (Cos) from a Tier 2 Licensed Employer. Tier 2 General is largely the only way for a highly skilled professional to work in the UK.

At Commonwealth Contractors we partner with Tier 2 Licensed Employers & Consultancies who may be prepared, where required, to sponsor a highly skilled Individual on a Tier 2 General Visa.

Are you a highly skilled IT, Engineering, or Financial Services Professional? Do you need a Tier 2 General Visa to work in the UK? If so Commonwealth Contractors can help.

Apply for Tier 2 Visa UK

You can apply for a Tier 2 Visa ‘In Country’. Tier 2 General applications are used where an applicant is:

  • Switching immigration category


  • Changing employment from one Tier 2 sponsor to another


  • Extending existing Tier 2 leave with the same employer.

You can apply for a Tier 2 Visa UK ‘Out of Country’ when a UK Employer wishes to employ you if you are a Non EEA national without existing status and the employer will allow you to move to the new visa in country.

The employer must first apply for a ‘restricted’ Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) before you can submit a Tier 2 application overseas since almost all out of country Tier 2 General applications fall under the Immigration Cap. For more information click on Out of Country Tier 2 Applications.

The Tier 2 Intra Company Transfer category is designed to accommodate those who are employed by multinational companies and are being transferred by their employer to a UK branch of an overseas company or organisation.

To find out more about gaining a Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa or to discuss working as an IT Consultant in the UK call Commonwealth Contractors now on 0330 390 9021 or contact us and we’ll see if we can help.

Other links that may be of interest to you:


For more Information call Commonwealth Contractors now on
0330 390 9021 or submit your details & we will get back to you.