EU Passport Holders
Do you hold a European Union (EU) Passport? Would you like to work in the UK as an IT, Engineering, Medical or Financial Services Contractor? If so Commonwealth Contractors can help!
At Commonwealth Contractors our solutions allow highly skilled European Union nationals to make the most of contracting in the UK by maximising their income. We can help regardless of whether you are looking for an Umbrella Company Solution or you are interested in going into business with your own Contractor Limited Company.
To find out more about Commonwealth Contractors solutions for European Nationals call now on 0800 294 4388 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!
Can EU Passport Holders work in the UK?
EU Passport holders can work freely in the UK without needed a work visa or having to register with the UK authorities (as previously required for ‘A8’ Nationals). In fact eligibility to work and live freely in the UK extends beyond the EU to the full European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland (which remains outside of both the EU and the EEA).
If you are a national of any EEA country or Switzerland, you will not need to apply for our permission in order to work in the UK. You can;
- Accept work
- Work as an ‘employee’ of a UK company
- Become ‘self employed’
- Set up a business and manage a company
- Set up a local branch of a company
What Nationals can work in the UK free?
Nationals of the following countries can work and live in the UK freely;
- Bulgaria (Work Permission Required – See Bulgarians & Romanians)
- Czech Republic (former ‘A8’ country)
- Estonia (former ‘A8’ country)
- Hungary (former ‘A8’ country)
- Republic of Ireland
- Latvia (former ‘A8’ country)
- Lithuania (former ‘A8’ country)
- The Netherlands
- Norway (see below)
- Poland (former ‘A8’ country)
- Romania (Work Permission Required – See Bulgarians & Romanians)
- Slovakia (former ‘A8’ country)
- Slovenia (former ‘A8’ country)
Please note that:
- Norway is not a member state of the European Union however it is closely associated with the Union through its membership of the European Economic Area. Norwegian nationals can work freely in the UK as EEA Nationals
- Switzerland is not a member of the European Union or the European Economic Area however it is a member of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA). Switzerland adopted EU Law in order to participate in the EU’s single market however in 1992 a Swiss referendum rejected EEA membership. Switzerland enjoys a special relationship with the EU which has been negotiated through a number of bilateral treaties.
- ‘A8’ Nationals (as detailed above) no longer have to participate in the Worker Registration Scheme (WRS).
Find out More
To find out more about our solutions call now on 0800 294 4388 or Submit your Details and we will get right back to you!