Category Archives: Residence & Domicile

UK Eases Visa Rules – 1st October 2013

Last Friday, Mark Harper, the immigration minister, announced changes which generally ease visa rules from 1st October 2013. Some of the key changes are:

  • Removal of the English language requirement for intra-company transferees.
  • Tourists and business visitors are allowed to do some study where it is not the main purpose of their visit.
  • Share ownership restrictions waived for senior staff earning £152,100 or more.
  • Artists of exceptional promise enabled to apply under Tier 1.
  • Graduate entrepreneurs will find it easier to switch into Tier 2.
  • New youth mobility scheme quotas set for 2014
  • Hong Kong will be added to the list of participating countries and territories on the UK’s Youth Mobility Scheme in order to further strenghten business, trade and cultural ties.
  • Some students will be allowed to work as interns under the Tier 5 government authorised exchange scheme.
  • The removal of the prospective student route.
  • The expansion of checks to ensure applicants for work and student visas are genuine, and that they intend to meet the conditions of leave they apply for.
  • The introducion of  powers to refuse Tier 4 extension applications where the applicant cannot speak English.
  • Dependants in the Points Based System and other work routes will be allowed to apply from within the UK, providing they are not here illegally, as visitors, or on temporary admission or temporary release. They will still need to satisfy all other existing requirements.
  • Special rules for overseas visitors to the Commonwealth Games 2014 were included.
  • With effect from the 28th October 2013 there will be changes to how applicants for indefinite leave to remain are required to demonstrate their knowledge of the English language and of life in the UK.

If you need a visa to work in IT, Engineering, Actuary or Finance Commonwealth Contractors may well be able to help.

To find out more about our solutions call now on 0330 390 9021 or Send us some details now and we will get right back to you!


Continue reading

UK Tax Residence

Strictly, you are UK tax resident for the whole of a tax year when you are UK resident for any part of it. But, if you leave or come to the UK partway through a tax year, HMRC operates a concession under which the year may be split (Extra-Statutory Concession A11). (more…)

Continue reading

Day Counting for UK Tax Residency

While day-counting alone may not disprove UK tax residence, it is certainly important for anyone who wants to be considered non-resident for tax purposes. (more…)

Continue reading

Non Resident ‘Day Counting’

While you will always be classed as UK resident if you are in the country for 183 days or more during a tax year, avoiding the 183 day threshold, and even avoiding the 90 days / year averaged over 4 years threshold, is not enough to prove non-residence. (more…)

Continue reading

Inbound Expats Coming to the UK

If you are a foreign national and you are coming to the UK to work on Contracts it is important to understand how the UK Taxation System will affect you if you. (more…)

Continue reading

Outbound Expats Leaving the UK

If you are a UK National (and are UK Domiciled) it is important to understand how the UK Taxation System will affect you if you are considering leaving the UK / working abroad. (more…)

Continue reading

Residence and Domicile (UK Tax Guide)

If you are thinking about (1) Coming to the UK to work as professional Contractor, OR (2) Planning to work as a professional Contractor abroad, you need to know how UK Tax Residence and Domicile will affect what you pay. (more…)

Continue reading